The Dirt Farmer Foundation is our way of focusing the social media power of The Dirt Farmer’s community to help worthwhile charities.
Our CAUSE it’s MARCH or Cause of the Month is
Nearly a billion in our world don’t have access to clean drinking water. Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of diseases and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. The good news: there are simple solutions, from deep drilled wells to water filtration systems. Founded in 2006, CHARITY:WATER is a non-profit bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations. In just over eight years, CHARITY:WATER has funded 11,430 sustainable, community-owned water projects in 22 countries around the globe - in Africa, Asia, Central and South America. When complete, these projects will provide clean, safe drinking water for more than 3.2 million people.
WHY WATER? Clean water means health, income and education for women and kids.
- Women and Children - usually bear the burden of water collection, walking miles to the nearest source. Building a water project nearby can give women and children the freedom to pursue an education or earn extra income.
- Food Supply - When a water project is built in a community, members can often use the new water source to grow small gardens near their homes and secure their own food supply.
- Health and Sanitation - To significantly cut down disease rates in the developing world, water is just the first step. Almost everywhere CHARITY:WATER builds a freshwater well, sanitation training is required.
- The Return - Every $1 invested in improved water supply and sanitation can yield from $4 to $12 for the local economy. Just $20 can provide clean water for one person.
- Donate - 100% of public donations go directly to water projects. All operating costs are covered by a group of private donors so every dollar donated by the public will help those in need.