The Dirt Farmer Foundation is our way of focusing the social media power of the Dirt Farmer’s community to help worthwhile charities.
Our CAUSE it’s FEBRUARY or Cause of the Month is
Meals on Wheels Association of America MOWAA
End Senior Hunger
Senior hunger in America is a monumental problem. The latest research reveals 8.8 million seniors in the United States faced the threat of hunger. The Meals On Wheels Association of America is the oldest and largest national organization composed of and representing 5,000 local, community-based Senior Nutrition Programs in all 50 U.S. states, as well as the U.S. Territories. These programs provide well over one million meals to seniors who need them each day. Some programs serve meals at congregate locations like senior centers, some programs deliver meals directly to the homes of seniors whose mobility is limited, and many programs provide both services.
- The National Resource Center on Nutrition and Aging cultivates innovative ideas related to nutrition and aging in the United States.
- March for Meals is an annual national campaign designed to increase public awareness, recruit new volunteers and increase funding for MOWAA. March for Meals 2014 – Video
- We are MOWAA Project consists of four major components: Building the Future Grants Program, Public Awareness Campaign, Institute for Senior Nutrition Education, and State-Affiliate Training Wheels Program
- MOWAA Emergency Preparedness (EP) Standards and Implementation Guidelines—developed to help senior nutrition providers for emergency planning.
- Health Literacy helps homebound seniors better understand health information, so that they can make more informed decisions about the health care they receive
- Food Safety MOWAA improves food safety practices.
- FeelGoodFood works with local MOWAA programs and sponsoring insurance or hospital organizations to provide home-delivered meals and telephone reassurance contacts to seniors upon their discharge from hospitals and other inpatient facilities.
You Can Make a Difference!
Get involved and SUPPORT MOWAA programs in several ways.